Monday, August 31, 2009

INSIDE THE ARTIST: McCLAIN SULLIVAN

McCLAIN SULLIVAN

[inside the artist]




We at Westbay Music Group got the opportunity to sit down with one of the most talented & elusive female singer/songwritters in the industry, McClain Sullivan. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, McClain's signature soulsound has captivated audiences from New York to Los Angeles. Currently residing in North Carolina, McClain's fresh soul sound has taken her from small town local artist to one of the hottest up&coming females of 09'. Sharing stages with major artists like The Roots, Talib Kweli, Souls of Mischief and traveling backandforth to Los Angeles for recording sessions, McClain Sullivan is creating a major buzz-wave with every performance and every track she records.
Currently signed with the Indie label Westbay Recordings, McClain Sullivan has just wrapped her debut EP due out this Fall and already causing quite a stir....We could go on, but lets hear it from her...


1) So McClain, tell us a little bit about yourself, what do you do?

I'm McClain Sullivan and i'm a singer/songwritter. Originally from Seattle, but living in Wilmington, North Carolina.

2) What kind of stuff do you sing, whats your sound?

I sing a mix between Soul and Pop, I was trained in Jazz and I try to mix that into whatever genre I sing. At first I was scared of using the word Pop to describe myself, but I'm embracing it now. I realized that with Pop you can still do it and talk about your life. You can have a catchy melody and not sing about sex and clothes.

3) Who are some of your influences and how do those influences affect who you are as an artist?

Ani Difranco, Shawn Colvin, The Pixies, and Liz Phair. I hear myself in their music.


4) I hear youre originally from the northwest US, do you think the mid-90's grunge alternative scene had an affect on who you are as an artist now?

Not really. I mean it definitely influenced me as a kid. I won't deny I wore the flannel, but being a kid from Seattle you didn't bump Pearl Jam in your car.


5) I hear ya.. So aside from your solo work you also write and perform with other groups no? can you tell us a little bit about your other projects?

I sing with Fuzz and Mac as well. We are a hip hop duo based out of Wilmington, NC. We've been together for about two years, and have gotten to travel and open up for some great groups. We are a "different kind of hip hop".

6) Tell us more about your travels and shows, what are your 2 most memorable?

Well, the first show we did was opening for The Roots in Myrtle Beach at House of Blues. We had just come up with the idea a month before and there we were in front of 2,000 people, and it was amazing. I think our second was a random show we did in Brattleboro, Vermont. It was a small venue, but it was packed and it felt great to get such a great reaction so far away from home.

7) Whats going on with you musically? What projects do you have going on?

I'm coming out with an EP on Westbay. It should be out early fall, and we are all really excited about it.

8) Thats sick, can you tell us a little bit more about this EP? what kind of music can we expect?

It's a real mix. It has House, radio style d&b, a hip hop song with Fuzz, and a more down tempo guitar track and a couple other soulful cuts. Even though it includes the different genres it has a common thread throughout which think comes from my singer-songwriter background.


9) Great, we're really looking forward to this EP, do you have any shouts or last words for your readers?

Great big thanks to my Wilmington NC fam, Owen Dollar my engineer, Fuzz Jackson my partner incrime and Westbay Music Group for the opportunity to be heard!
Make sure to grab my EP and visit me online!


With style and grace she got up from the table, checked her blackberry and headed for the door.
McClain Sullivan, definitely one to watch right now.


Her EP titled "OUR SONG EP" is being released on Westbay Recordings this Fall

(available on itunes)

Make sure to check McClain @ Myspace & Facebook!

McCLAIN ON FACEBOOK


McCLAIN ON MYSPACE

No comments: